Pages

7/17/19

My Roots

I was just thinking of all the things I have done, all the lessons I have taught and learned as an educator.  Sometimes it becomes too easy to lose touch with the essence of what drives you.  In my case, integrating the arts in education was my beginning.  I was sure that using the arts to inspire kids in learning was the way to get kids brains engaged and learning.  Of course, I have built up experiences and skills teaching the basics, and continue to do so, and yet I was also right back then, when I believed engaging learners was important, when I created ‘fun’ lessons to keep kids learning, not to distract them from it.  I can see clearly today, how my roots have grown into a passion to create accessible, engaging experiences where kids can wonder, create and learn.

So today I am taking a bit of a walk down memory lane. . .




I can tell ( can you?) just by the cover that I began this book cover in the NCLB/ CCSS/ testing era of teaching.  Lol!  I scarcely mention artist, poet, nature lover, gardener... aspects of my life that once drove my teaching and inspired learners in my class at this point felt like dated practices, taboo subjects, frivolous idealism...

When I open the cover though, I see I included some quotes that ring true throughout my practice.


I reflected on things I thought I knew, and they evolved into driving questions that still drive me now..  and are surprisingly?  To me on line with the work I have been doing exploring Universal 
Design for Learning.  




I read this book and thought, not in a cocky “I have done this”, but more a “whoa! I’ve done so much 
of this!” That I included the cover in my scrapbook!  Crafting engaging lessons is Dave Burgess’ 
signature card and I have so many of his strategies over the years, before they became “pirate” tools.


Some of the real work of teaching for me began when I cotaught fourth grade for the first time, and really started putting questions to work, and thinking how do we get kids to actively drive their own learning.  I created  lessons like this one, where I treat the subject like a big mystery to be solved.  The kids used the three “ clues” to brainstorm ideas about what the message is...









A kickoff to geology unit that bridges previous knowledge and inspires curiosity





And they pretty much nailed it!  Time to introduce new vocabulary! “ geology”



or in some cases what the next unit of study would be on. There is no reason why, even if the learning
 goals are determined by the state, why we can’t make sure the kids are enjoying experiences at school, and finding school as a place where curiosity and wonder, exploration and creativity are a part of daily life.  As a matter of fact brain research, and current best practices, such as goal oriented instruction and universal design support the idea that engagement is so important.  We know now that a brain that is having fun is More open to learning. 

Cooking with 1st graders


Science in the classroom and across the curriculum!









Cooking, making art, questioning, problem solving, writing and putting on plays, Raising chicks, field trips to the Natural History Museaum, The Clark Art Institute, Apple Orchards, the Great Falls Discovery Center, and more. . . All while teaching math, language arts, social studies, science, and social emotional learning. . . all while building great relationships with kids. . . All while being self reflective, improving my practice, using data to inform instruction, and believing this is the work I am meant to do.




No comments: