Pages

5/4/12

Take a breath Mama

Take a breath mama.

I began writing today about the unwelcoming school climate in our small town school that stifles our children with the unspoken message, "Keep your differences to yourselves."  Was going to write about the judgemental, misguided parents who are under the notion that a child's behaviors are always within his own power to control, and are a direct reflection of parental control and competence.  I was going to grumble about the folks who no longer feel like friends, and the person who recently reminded us we "are on your own with that kid, he's not my problem."  I was going to whine about the fact that so many people just don't "Get It".

But I won't.  I am not diving in any deeper there.  I will stop.  I will take a breath in and know that we have many great neighbors and new friends who we are getting to know in this little town.  I will acknowledge the friends who understand that raising children can be hard because it is hard, not because we are doing it wrong.  I will gulp up all the smiles and hugs and thoughtful words of concern and support friends have freely given.  I will take in the knowledge that like minded friends are near.  I will inhale the presence of understanding standing next to me.  "Breath mama."  and be greatful.

I will be greatful as I exhale the tears welling in my chest, blow out the frustration in my muscles, and expel the judgement ringing in my ears.  Let it all go. . .  Then, I will breath in again, a deep cleansing breath.  We are not alone.  Some of us do get it.  Some of us do understand, and care, and offer support to others.  "Take a breath mama."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"... about the judgemental, misguided parents who are under the notion that a child's behaviors are always within his own power to control, and are a direct reflection of parental control and competence ..."

Raising strong and healthy kiddos is a lifetime job with no pay, minimal thanks, and very little appreciation. We too have been judged, labeled, and put in a box. It's sad that those who think they "know it all" rarely have dealt with suffering little children on the front lines. Their "expertise" is not backed up with real life experiences.
BTW, love the list on Lagging Skills. Sounds like our house.

ABoyden said...

Thank you for responding. :) Sounds like I am in good company :)